SHEFFIELD GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Whom have we helped?
The trust has over the years helped many hundreds of individuals and groups. Please read the following anonymised examples to get an idea of the work of the Foundation
- A 16 year old from Sheffield – attending a drama college in London, applied for a grant to help with travel expenses to enable her to return home to Sheffield due to ongoing hospital visits. Grant awarded – £1,100
- A 23 year old from Sheffield – volunteering through the International Citizen Service (ICS) for three months in Nepal, needed to raise £800. The volunteer had managed to raise £600. Grant awarded – £200
- A 30 year old from Sheffield – studying a Language Course at Sheffield City College, applied for a grant for childcare fees. Grant awarded – £600
- A 9 year old from Sheffield – attending weekly English and Maths lessons, at a Sheffield Dyslexia Organisation. Grant awarded £600 for an academic year
- A not for profit Sheffield choir – applied for a grant to enable them to subsidise 20 members attending the Voices Now festival in London. The singers were aged between 11-18 and were from schools across Sheffield. Grant awarded – £400
- A Musical Theatre Company/Charity – applied for a grant to support their project promoting early years music education across the City providing a theatre production. The project benefitted children in early years foundation stage and key stage 1 in Sheffield. Grant awarded – £1,500
- A Martial Arts Group from Sheffield – applied for a grant to enable them to represent Great Britain in the WTKA World Championships in Italy. The group needed to raise over £12,000 to attend. Grant awarded – £2,000
The Foundation's income is applied in the following ways:
(a) in awarding beneficiaries scholarships bursaries or maintenance allowances tenable at any school, university or other place of learning approved by the Governors;
(b) in providing financial assistance, outfits, clothing, tools, instruments or books to enable beneficiaries on leaving school or university or any other educational establishment to prepare for or to assist their entry into a professional trade or calling;
(c) in awarding scholarships or maintenance allowances to enable beneficiaries to travel abroad to pursue their education;
(d) in providing or assisting in the provision of facilities of any kind not normally provided by the Local Education Authority for recreation, social and physical training including the provision of coaching in athletics, sport and games for beneficiaries who are receiving primary, secondary or further education;
(e) in providing financial assistance to enable beneficiaries to study music or other arts.
Beneficiaries means persons resident in the City of Sheffield who, in the opinion of the Governors, are in need of financial assistance.
Please note: Grants are awarded using the above aims but at the discretion of the Governors
The Area We Support
Although we would like to support a wider area we currently focus our funding support to the in the Sheffield District. Applicants must have lived within the administrative boundary of Sheffield for at least three years.
WHO DOES THE FOUNDATION SUPPORT?
In accordance with the aims of the Foundation, which can be viewed here, the Governors may award grants to individuals resident in the City of Sheffield in need of financial assistance relating to educational needs, and to charitable organisations working to meet those needs.
The reference in the Foundation’s name to ‘grammar school’ is historic – there is no current link to grammar schools in general or to any school in particular.
WHO DOES THE FOUNDATION NOT SUPPORT?
The Foundation does not award grants to individuals resident outside of Sheffield or for non-educational purposes.
I AM A STUDENT AND MY PERMANENT RESIDENCE IS IN SHEFFIELD/MY PARENTS OR GUARDIANS LIVE IN SHEFFIELD, BUT I AM STUDYING ELSEWHERE. MAY I APPLY FOR A GRANT?
Yes, if your main residence is in Sheffield, but you are studying elsewhere temporarily or during term time, you may apply to the Foundation.
WE ARE AN ORGANISATION, BUT WE ARE NOT A REGISTERED CHARITY. CAN WE APPLY?
Yes, if the activity you are asking for help with is charitable and falls within the aims of the Foundation, but you will be required to explain why you are not a registered charity.
HOW OFTEN DOES THE FOUNDATION MEET?
The Governors of the Foundation meet four times a year, normally in March, June, September and December.
CAN I/WE APPLY FOR A GRANT IN BETWEEN THE QUARTERLY MEETING DATES?
You may submit your application at any time, but please be aware that your application will only be considered at the next meeting of the Foundation. It will not be looked at before then.
WHAT IS THE USUAL AMOUNT OF GRANT AWARDED?
This is dependent on the Foundation’s finances and what you are applying for help with. In the past grants have ranged from £50 up to £5,000.
I/WE HAVE RECEIVED A GRANT IN THE PAST. HOW SOON CAN I/WE APPLY AGAIN FOR FUNDING?
The Governors would not expect to receive a further application from an applicant for at least a year after a grant has been awarded.
I/WE HAVE APPLIED IN THE PAST BUT THE APPLICATION WAS TURNED DOWN. CAN I/WE APPLY AGAIN?
Yes, but please bear in mind that the Governors would not expect to receive a further application for at least a year. Sometimes, an application is declined because there is not enough information with it. If this is the case, the Governors will let you know, and might encourage you to reapply with more information.
WHEN WILL I/WE BE NOTIFIED OF THE OUTCOME OF MY/OUR APPLICATION?
Decisions are notified in writing approximately two weeks after the meeting date. No information about grant awards will be given before this, or over the phone.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The application forms can be found here. Please read the form and the accompanying checklist thoroughly before submitting your application.
HOW DO I IMPROVE MY CHANCES OF RECEIVING A GRANT?
Complete the application form in full providing as much information as possible, including costs, budgets and a reference.
If, once you have read this page and the checklist attached to the application form, you still have a question, please contact us.